Newport-Mesa Unified School District leaders might delay the start of in-person instruction for students in grades seven through 12 until the end of the current semester.
The district has set a special school board meeting for 2 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8, to consider the possible delay until after Dec. 17. It will be a teleconference meeting.
Newport-Mesa’s grade seven through 12 students are scheduled to begin hybrid learning, a mix of in-person and distance learning, on Monday. The district’s lower grades started hybrid learning last week.
A group of Corona del Mar high school and middle school teachers last week sent a letter to its families saying the preparations for in-person learning were inadequate. The letter was signed by 63 teachers and staff members.
“The hybrid model,” the letter said, “will provide none of the social interactions that students miss.”
The letter also brought up concerns such as the method by which students would be screened for illness as they arrived at school.
In its announcement of the special school board meeting, the district said it had input from principals of all the affected schools and there was “the need to further assess the support structures for student learning and instruction.” It said principals, teachers and district administrators would be involved in assessing and enhancing the plans.
There are instructions on the district’s website, web.nmusd.us, for how to submit written comments, which are due by 11 a.m.
Posted by: https://anaheimsigns.com
No comments:
Post a Comment